Got a plan for Valentine’s Day? Yes! No… Maybe so?
Though many flowers, cards and dinners will be enjoyed this Sunday, what people WANT MOST is to know they are loved and they matter to you.
Whether you are starting from scratch or you want to make your gift even sweeter, here are some quick and easy ideas that can have even the most unprepared person going from zero to hero this Valentine’s Day.
Sweet start–let them know how very loved they are from the start of their day. Even the “I’m-not-a-morning” person will smile if you:
- Post a sticky note on their alarm clock reading, “Good Morning Sunshine! I love you!”
- Leave a note by their morning coffee mug or make the breakfast table a little more special than usual
- Leave some Hershey’s kisses or Sweethearts on the seat of their car
Sweet details-don’t just tell them you love them, tell them WHY you love them and WHY they have made a difference in your life. Whether typed or handwritten, delivered in person or by text:
- Make a list of the 5 (or more!) reasons you love them
- Share your 5 (or more!) happiest memories together
- Write a love note letting them know what captivated you when you first met or that very special moment when you realized you loved them
Sweet anticipation– Remember when you were a kid and you couldn’t wait for Christmas morning? Turns out we never outgrow that sensation. Research shows that one of the reasons why experiences may be enjoyed more than physical gifts is because people love thinking about the upcoming event and the pleasure they will derive from it. If you are planning a special dinner/movie/event, build the hype!
- Start a countdown…”Only 24 more hours until we are enjoying a fabulous dinner at Chez Fabulous”…”Only 12 more hours…” You get the idea.
- Share a small gift that hints at the fun ahead: If you’re taking your sweetie wine tasting for the day, gift a few chocolates with a note, “Bet these will taste fabulous with some port.”
- Preview the plan: If you have plans to see a music event, record a snippet of one of the bands songs and text it to your special someone, “Bet they’ll sound even better live!”
Sweet treat-on the sweetest of holidays, there are an endless number of options. It’s not entirely about the taste of the food, it’s the knowledge that your loved one did something out of the ordinary for the simple reason that it would make you smile.
- Heart-shaped foods have been proven to make people smile-Technically, this hasn’t been proven yet, but I’ve seen more than one curmudgeon smile at heart-shaped cookies or brownies. Heck, you could even make a heart shape out of a few pieces of bacon…and who doesn’t love bacon?
- Favorite treat-remember that old adage, “The best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” Turns out the same is true of women! Whether it’s dark chocolate, coconut (my personal favorite!) or a pint of Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia, make or buy their favorite treat.
- Heart healthy-if your sweetie is avoiding sweets, make their favorite dish of brussel sprouts or lentils or whatever. When you serve it, grab a Sharpie and write a special message on the edge of a plate. (Don’t worry!—it comes off with soap and water.)
Sweet sentiments–share your sweetest thoughts or borrow them from someone known for their quotable quotes. It doesn’t matter where you get the quote, it just matters that you took the time to share it.
Sweet possibilities-Pressed for time and/or money? Did you just realize you need a gift within the next 15 minutes? (Yep, we’ve all been there!) Get something that speaks to the possibilities ahead.
- Grab a few scratch-off lottery tickets at the nearest gas station and gift them with a note saying what you’d love to do if they won
- Get an iTunes gift card (online or pretty much at any grocery store these days) and put together a list of a few special songs that have meaning to the two of you. Tell your sweetie you can’t wait to enjoy them together, and maybe even dance the night away.
- Grab a blank notebook/notepad (easily found in the grocery store, office store, gas station) and draw a big giant heart with your names in it. Yes, it may seem juvenile, but in this increasingly digital world, a handwritten doodle is even more charming.
Valentine’s Day comes just once a year. Don’t forget to let your loved ones know how much you love them on the other 364 days of the year. I promise, it will make YOUR life a whole lot sweeter.