“Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.”
If words are the most powerful drug, then Valentine’s Day is the holiday that knocks us out.
Sure, Christmas is the biggest holiday and Halloween and Easter top the list for candy sales. But you’d be hard-pressed to find another holiday that features words so prominently in its traditions:
- Classroom exchanges of Valentine’s Day cards
- Sweetheart candies made famous, not for their taste, but for printed messages like “TRUE LOVE” and these days, “TXT ME”
- Poems written to a sweetheart
- Heart shaped boxes of chocolates with “BE MINE” emblazoned across the front
- Saying “I Love You”…
Whether the thought of Valentine’s Day makes you smile in delight or cringe at the thought of overpriced flowers and ugly stuffed animals, it’s a great opportunity to remind the special people in our lives how much they matter to us.
To help get you in the mood, I’ve assembled 25 quotes for Valentine’s Day. You’ll find a mix of sweet, thoughtful and funny lines by names you know and some names that might be new to you. I arranged the quotes alphabetically by author because it seemed as good a way to organize them as any other! ☺ You can use them as inspiration or put them into action as gift ideas:
• Gift a book by an author of one of the quotes and include the quote as a bookmark
• Use the quotes as love notes to hide for your partner or to tuck into your kids’ lunchboxes
• Attach a quote to a Starbucks gift card or your favorite place and leave it on the doorstep or inbox of a friend you’ve been meaning to catch up with
• Stuck with what to write on that Valentine’s Day card? Let one of these famous quotes say it for you
Valentine’s Day is said to be the sweetest day of the year. We just need to use our words and let our loved ones know how very special they are.
Happy Valentine’s Day!